The CAATE has compiled frequently asked questions for students, professionals and post-professionals. Find answers to your questions below.


Students should contact their program director to obtain proof of graduation from an accredited program. The CAATE no longer provides certificates for professional programs as verification of graduation from an accredited program, as all candidates for the Board of Certification (BOC) examination must graduate from a CAATE accredited program.  State licensing boards have been notified of this change in certificate issuance and no longer requires a certificate from the CAATE as proof of graduation from an accredited program.

To become an athletic trainer, candidates must graduate with a degree in Athletic Training from an accredited athletic training program and successfully pass the Board of Certification (BOC) exam.  To practice as an athletic trainer in most states, the individual must also be credentialed within the state.  Degrees in physical therapy, exercise science, strength and conditioning or others DO NOT qualify the candidate to sit for the BOC examination.